I must say, this started out as a very promising year for me. I was finally getting good at my first "real" law job, training for a triathlon in May thereby getting super skinny hot, and finishing up some home renos to perfect our awesome condo. All of these things were great, and yet have been overshadowed by one... err, make that TWO major failures.
Actually, it's not fair to say that two miscarriages ruined it all. I think there is something to be said for the fact that #1 occurred a month into my new ridiculously stressful job at the BigFirm. I went from working 7 hour days (3 of which were spent reading nutrition and fitness blogs), to working 12-14 hour days (all of which were spent running around like a headless chicken trying to please everyone and do everything). I would really like to think it was the stress that did me in, because that would be much better than admitting that all the work I put into "preparing" my body for pregnancy was for naught.
Now, let's recap the goals I set for myself back in January 2010 and see how I did:
- Be a kickass lawyer - I would say... check. I completed a judicial clerkship and joined to biggest firm in the country (hereafter referred to as "BigFirm"). I had a great first review and things are looking good.
- Do a triathlon - Check! Although I only did the sprint distance, I did finish in the respectable middle of my age category.
- Run my first 10k - Check! Actually, with the amount of running AROUND slow people involved, it was probably more like an 11 or 12k =)
- Learn how to play the piano - Check! Have been taking lessons for 6 months already and will continue. I have a strict ex-Soviet teacher (which I specifically requested) who doesn't let me get away with anything, but that's the price you pay for results!
- Read 4 novels. Let me just preface this by saying that I probably read the equivalent of 100 novels a year in the form of case law and legal texts, so it is actually quite difficult to motivate myself to read "for pleasure". Nevertheless, I have read 3.5 books this year and could potentially get to my goal of 4 if I focus tonight. The books are: Utopia by Thomas More, Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, Vancouver Special by Charles Demers, and currently finishing When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops by George Carlin. All light reads, as they should be.
- Get pregnant - Check!... oops, fail. Oh, then check again!... and fail.\
Losegain 5 pounds - Check! See item 6 above. Actually, 5 pounds is not bad for being preggers twice. Most people gain 20-30 each time.
And with that, I say so long 2010 and hellooooo 2011.