"This is awesome", I thought to myself. A safe environment where breeding is not the meaning of life and people remind me that life is full of all kinds of other validly wonderful things. And then one of them breaks the spell - "so, when are you guys having kids?"
I've fielded this question many, many times before, but for some reason never quite managed to craft a good response. Tonight I'm going out for dinner with some ladies I haven't seen in years, so I thought I should take the time to come up with something good to say when they inevitably ask that irritating question. Here is what I've come up with, the key ingredient being sarcasm. Please share your comebacks of choice in the comments.
So, when are you having kids?
- I'm so glad you brought this up! My husband and I really want to include you in these decisions.
- Don't worry, when I decide to have unprotected sex I'll be sure to post it on Facebook.
- If asked by a member of husband's family: I'm waiting til I meet the right person.
- I just don't know if I want to bring a child into such a world of inappropriate questions.
- As soon as they stop dying in my uterus!